17-year-old found guilty of slashing teen’s arm with machete in attack on Druid Street

Mason Moore | Hinckley Reporter | 4 August 2022

A 17-YEAR-OLD boy has been found guilty of causing grievous bodily harm with intent after a teenager was stabbed in Hinckley two months ago.

A stock photo of a machete (Image: Jeff Li/Pexels)

The attack took place two months ago back on Monday, 13 June, just after 6.10pm, which prompted police officers to descend on down to Druid Street, outside the town centre, following a report that a 17-year-old had been slashed on his arm.

Two days ago (Tuesday, 2 August), following a trial at Leicester Youth Court, a 17-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was found guilty of the offence.

The defendant and victim were known to each other.

According to a statement issued by Leicestershire Police, the defendant was also found guilty of attempted grievous bodily harm with intent in relation to a second victim who was at the scene, and possession of a bladed article – namely a machete.

The first victim reported that he had been in the area with the second male victim, his friend, who was also 17-years-old.

The defendant was reported to have approached the first victim in an “aggressive” manner. This then led to the defendant making threats to both of the victims, whilst wielding a machete – and swinging it directly at them.

The first victim had raised his arm up to protect himself, which subsequently led to him sustaining a slash wound being caused to his arm.

The second victim tried to intervene, which led to the defendant swinging the machete towards him. The second victim was not injured in the incident.

The second victim fled from the scene, running back towards his car, whilst the defendant made off from the area down Well Lane, towards Upper Bond Street.

The first victim was taken to hospital for treatment to his injury – and he has since been discharged.

An investigation into the incident was launched by the police, which included CCTV enquiries, taking statements from the victims, and speaking with witnesses.

Officers then attended the defendant’s home address at 6.50pm on 13 June to arrest him in connection with the incident. He was charged the following day.

Detective Constable, Joanna Price, said: “The outcome of this incident could have been far more serious. The defendant had no consideration regarding just how dangerous his actions were.

“As a force we will not tolerate knife crime and will take action against offenders. We also continue to work with our partners to raise awareness of knife crime and prevent it from happening in our communities.

“Please continue to work with us as part of this by reporting any information you have to us in relation to knife crime so that we can take the action required.”

The defendant has been remanded into custody and is due to be sentenced in two weeks and five days time, on Tuesday, 23 August at Leicester Crown Court.

Leave a Reply