Discarded battery left in compactor believed to be cause of Barwell Tip fire

Mason Moore | Hinckley Reporter | 8 June 2022

A DISCARDED household battery which was left inside a compactor unit at Barwell Tip is believed to have been the cause of a fire on-site, resulting in its temporary closure.

Barwell Tip (Image: Google Street View) / Inset (Image: Library image)

A fire broke out at the Tip based on Stapleton Lane in Barwell, near Hinckley, yesterday afternoon (Tuesday, 7 June).

Firefighters head on down to the scene after receiving the call, where they promptly extinguished the fire.

The site still remains closed for ‘safety reasons’ as it is being made safe for Tip users once again ready for when it re-opens in three days’ time, on Saturday, 11 June.

Now, a spokesperson for Leicestershire County Council (LCC) has urged residents not to throw away their batteries in their regular household waste.

They stressed: “We encourage residents not to dispose of batteries in their household waste, as they have caused fires in waste collection vehicles and at waste sites previously.

“We apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank people for their patience.”

Leave a Reply