Barwell and Earl Shilton officers issue ‘pointers’ over who to contact after recent reports of parking disputes

Mason Moore | Hinckley Reporter | 28 February 2022

BARWELL and Earl Shilton police officers have reminded residents that they should not always be the ‘go to’ people to call over a parking dispute.

Library image (Image: Pixabay)

This comes after a recent number of issues regarding vehicles being parked in ‘inconsiderate places’.

Whilst they may sometimes be able to help, they should not be the first contacted, as Councils are also able to offer a helping hand with parking disputes.

In a statement posted on Facebook three days ago, a force spokesperson for stressed that whilst they can help in some situations, the police should not always be the first port of call in a parking incident – and it is ‘very often’ the local authority instead.

The recent rise in calls regarding parking issues has prompted police to collate a list of pointers on what constitutes nuisance parking – and what to do if it is affecting you.

The list of pointers is as follows:

Designated parking spaces

If someone has parked in your designated parking space without your permission, our first advice is always to try and resolve the issue peacefully yourself. If you can’t find the driver to speak with them, try leaving a polite note on their windscreen.

Parking on your driveway

If someone parks their vehicle on your driveway without your permission, this is trespassing.

This is a civil dispute and not something we can help you with.

Someone blocking your driveway

If someone has blocked your driveway so you can’t drive in, we appreciate this can be very frustrating.

If you can find the owner of the vehicle, we’d first recommend asking them politely to move it. If you can’t find them, try leaving a note on their windscreen.

After all, they may not realise they have caused a problem. Should the problem continue to happen please contact the local council.

If a person has blocked your driveway and is preventing you from getting your own vehicle out, we may be able to help as this is classed as anti social behaviour.

Where parking is illegal:

* On zig zag lines

* Dangerously

* In a way preventing giving emergency vehicles access

These incidents can be reported to officers on their non-emergency police number of 101, or alternatively, through the official Leicestershire Police website.

When to report to the Council:

* The vehicle is parked over a dropped kerb

* Parked on a pedestrian crossing – including an area marked by zig zag lines

* Parked in spaces reserved for Blue Badge holders, residents or motorbikes – unless entitled to do so

* In marked taxi bays, cycle lanes or red lines

* near a school entrance, bus or tram stop

* Anywhere that would prevent access for Emergency Services

Leave a Reply