Mason Moore | Hinckley Reporter | 14 March 2021
A BLUE PLAQUE has been installed in Desford’s Strict Baptist Graveyard on High Street, opposite the village’s Bluebell Inn pub, to remember Nuneaton-born preacher William Gadsby.
The blue plaque was installed by Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council approximately two weeks ago on the site of a chapel which was built for William Gadsby to preach in.
Gadsby was an early leader of the Strict Baptist movement who championed the cause of social justice and opposed the established Elizabethan Church.
He was born in Attleborough in Nuneaton, Warwickshire, and lived from 1773 until 1844. He was a Strict Particular Baptist Minister, evangeliser, hymn writer, and Church builder.
In the 20th Century, the Graveyard started fell into a state of disuse. A spokesperson for Desford Parish Council explained that they are ‘delighted’ that Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council have installed the plaque.
The Parish Council spokesperson further added that they are thankful for the volunteers regularly maintaining the site.
They explained: “We are grateful to the volunteers who have been working to improve the site with planting over the past two years, the latest being a wildflower patch which will look beautiful this coming season.
“The Parish Council has plans to improve the access with some shallow steps to enable more people to sit and enjoy this lovely spot.”